Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Education programs provide nurturing experiences critical to classroom success

A successful career in education requires tremendous dedication to the profession and a desire for continuous improvement. For aspiring educators, programs in MSU’s College of Education provide high-quality preparation and strong support in an environment that facilitates and fosters student learning.

Growing up, senior elementary and special education major Maria Kallas from Springboro, Ohio, always knew she wanted to become a teacher. Her experiences at MSU were challenging, rewarding and have ultimately prepared her to take her dream classroom and mold it into reality.

“Everything I do is motivated by those 28 faces I imagine in my future classroom,” Kallas said. “It has always been my desire to develop as much as I could professionally so that I could serve students to the best of my ability.”

Her participation in two different Undergraduate Research Fellowships while at MSU has been invaluable. During one fellowship, Kallas focused on the effects of technology integration and learned best practices for introducing technology into the classroom. Another experience allowed her to continue research for a behavior change project initiated in one of her applied behavior special education classes. Kallas believes the skills she has learned through researching and practicing her applied behavior analysis will continue to guide her classroom management practices throughout her teaching career.

“As a student teacher and first-year teacher, I will be entering the workforce with knowledge of best practices in technology integration and classroom management – two of the hardest components of teaching,” Kallas said. “I have a passion for teaching unruly students now. I want students who will challenge me and push my buttons. I have also learned how to search and apply for grants to bring technology into my classroom.”

Through extensive field experiences, challenging research fellowships and supportive faculty who have constantly encouraged her in and out of the classroom, Kallas couldn’t be more excited to continue her education journey beyond MSU.

“I haven’t graduated yet and I’ve already been interviewed for upcoming teaching positions. I have been recommended for hiring before even beginning my student teaching. That’s crazy to me!” she said. “I am beyond thankful for all of my experiences at Morehead State.”

MSU offers programs in early childhood, elementary, middle grades and secondary education, and special education. For more information, visit www.moreheadstate.edu/education.

No comments:

Post a Comment